Hairdressing and Barbering Professional Level 2
We are the biggest provider of the Hair Professional apprenticeship programmes in England.
Our apprenticeship is ideal for those new to the salon industry or those with basic salon experience wanting to develop the core skills sets and knowledge from which to start a career as a hair professional with an industry recognised qualification.
Our shop-floor training programmes, delivered by hair specialists will give you the skills you need to confidently provide your customers with key in-salon services using the latest techniques, treatments and equipment. Successful completion of the apprenticeship will also lead to the achievement of the Diploma for Hair Professionals.
About the programme
We offer two distinct options, built and designed to reflect the two different occupational roles available for Hair Professionals:
- Hairdressers – 20 month programme including end point assessment
- Barbers – 18 month programme including end point assessment
Both programmes, delivered by hair industry experts provide in-salon training in the core knowledge, skills and behaviours required such as:
- Client consultations
- Shampooing and conditioning
- Safe working practices
- Client care
These core skills are combined with profession-specific units for each role, such as shaving services for Barbers and colouring techniques for Hairdressers.
Throughout the apprenticeship we’ll also help you to build the kit needed for your development and progression as you move through the different stages of the programme including blockhead units, hairbrushes or clippers.
Is the apprenticeship for you?
This apprenticeship is ideal if you have a passion for hairdressing and want to develop the skills needed to be a successful and talented hairdresser.
It is a great programme for those new to the industry or for those already working at a junior level within a salon or barber shop who have some experience but who want their professional competencies validated by a formal and professional qualification.
Our most successful apprentices are good team players with a thirst to learn and develop new skills. They generally have creative flair with the vision and customer communication skills to both inspire and interpret customer’s hairstyles and grooming regimes.
The apprenticeship works really well for those who wish to learn and earn within a live salon environment, applying new skills within the workplace, rather than a college environment.
What you’ll learn
As a Hair Professional there are core skills you will need to have to be able successfully work within this sector. You’ll complete a series of learning activities covering:
- Salon Professionalism and Behaviours
- Client Care
- Reception Duties
- Safe Working Practices including the use of equipment, materials and products
- Client Consultation
- Shampoo and conditioning
- Hair cutting Techniques
- Style and Finish
Then a range of options available to you dependent on your chosen route:
- Colouring and lightening
- Hair Relaxing and Treatments
- Extension Services
- Barbering cutting techniques- clipper and razor cutting
- Facial Hair shaping
- Shaving services
How you’ll learn
You’ll receive a comprehensive, salon-focussed training programme delivered by a passionate team of industry experienced and expert Trainers. We deliver a blended learning programme in-salon and scheduled around the business needs which includes:
- 1-2-1 workplace visits and training twice a month by one of our expert Trainers
- Industry leading insight from industry experts such as Chris Foster
- Partnership working to shape the programme with your employer
- E-books and online resources including worksheets and videos to enable independent and flexible learning enhancements
- Practical skills assessments and observations carried out in your salon environment
- Reflective Learning and through portfolio evidence
- Off the job training – including work shadowing, practice on block heads and models, product and technique research activities
- Progress reviews, including a pre-gateway and final gateway review
- End point assessment preparation and support
- Support from English/maths specialists if required
You will record and track your progress through our OneFile app, helping you support and evidence your new skills. OneFile is a simple online service which can be accessed 24/7 anywhere and through any device.
Get in touch!
Need more information? No problem! It doesn’t matter if your query is big or small, our teams are here to help. Just complete a quick enquiry form and we will be in contact to assist you with your query.